THE ACCOUNT DIRECTOR is responsible for the relationship between the agency and clients. The account director will generally look after client needs through direct contact, liaison, and the marshaling of agency resources. The account director will be the key, day-to-day agency representative to the client and will maintain a highly responsive service orientation in all transactions. They must be knowledgeable in both the client's business and the agency business. They may assign account personnel their accounts. The account director may supervise account personnel performance with accounts, and reviews all strategic and media decisions formulated by the various operating departments before they are delivered to the client.
The account director bears responsibility for the account's growth and profitability, and the development of the account. The account director reviews all creative concepts to confirm whether they meet strategic goals before delivery to the client for approval. The account director keeps regular contact with all assigned agency accounts.
This person should hold a business or marketing degree, together with successful advertising agency experience in more junior, supervised account group capacities. The account director needs strong verbal and written communications skills; a capability for analytical thinking; a sense of entrepreneurship; dynamic presentation skills; personal organization; and interpersonal skills. A clear understanding of today's marketing and advertising business and a keen sense of the agency business model is essential.
Reports to an account supervisor/director of client services/owners
May manage/direct Account Service Department Personnel
- Maintains direct, day-to-day, mid- to senior-level client contact. Provides clients with clear access to senior management.
- May direct the activities of account personnel to ensure proper agency service to clients.
- Works in a proactive manner to provide client marketing plans with the greatest amount of added value through communications.
- Analyzes client input, together with background knowledge, research, field feedback, etc., to produce full communications plans.
- Devises communications strategy. Reviews strategies and recommends improvements.
- Briefs creative and media staff in support of account personnel.
- Ensures technical and product representations are appropriate.
- Provides creative, production, media, public relations and interactive department personnel with well-documented input, support data and production materials as required; ensures that advertising strategies are clearly defined, approved by clients, and understood by the creative and media groups.
- In the absence of creative and media personnel, presents and effectively sells communications plans, concepts, media and interactive marketing plans to clients; where creative and media personnel are present, supports them in selling concepts and plans.
- Provides clients with budget updates.
- Keeps apprised of all relevant client, industry and market developments.
- Coordinates and authorizes quotations for client approval.
- Prepares client invoices. Monitors accounts receivable and credit-worthiness of accounts.
- Liaises with research personnel and other non-creative freelance resources.
- Checks and approves copy, design, and production art, and coordinates client approval of same.
- Coordinates project timing and budgets with all relevant agency personnel.
- Writes Client Contact Reports; reviews important developments with relevant account personnel and account supervisors / director of client services.
- Prepares month-end overviews of client's current activities, and monthly revenue forecasts, plus plans for future development of accounts.
- Seeks out new business opportunities with new and existing clients and plays a supportive role in their development.
- Represents the agency at industry functions—promotes the agency at every opportunity. Is fully familiar with agency credentials and specialties.
- Continuously works to upgrade knowledge and skills through available reading, courses and seminars.
Email us at email@example.com to apply.